Subject: Re: Pull request: bluetooth-next-2.6 2010-05-10

From: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 04:28:29 -0700 (PDT)

More problems.

In the future, don't fix things like you did in:

"Bluetooth: Fix issues where sk_sleep() helper is needed now"

That's something you take care of inside of the merge which causes the
build problems.

It's even trivial:

bash$ cd bluetooth-next-2.6
bash$ git pull .../net-next-2.6/.git
bash$ make
... build fails because sk_sleep() stuff ...
bash$ emacs ...
bash$ make
... build succeeds now ...
bash$ git commit --amend file1.c file2.c ...

and add some mention in the amended merge commit about what you did
to take care of the sk_sleep() stuff.  That final commit command
will update the merge commit so that it has the build fix included
in it and therefore at any particular commit the tree does not fail
to build.

Otherwise you create a situation where the tree is not bisectable at
all, if someone bisects to the commit before the sk_sleep() fix the
tree won't build, and this makes bug hunting more painful than it
needs to be.