Subject: Re: Kernel crash with sky2

From: "Roedel, Joerg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 13:01:28 +0200

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 03:22:36PM -0400, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:52:28 +0200
> Joerg Roedel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I experience the following crash with 2.6.34 in the sky2 code on my
> > laptop when I plug off the lan-cable and then plug-off the power cable
> > and switching to battery. It does not happen with acpi=off.
> 
> So you have a busted BIOS that powers off the device.

Yeah you are right, its a BIOS issue. I tried to find out how the OS is
informed about the device taken away. But none of the hotplug
drivers or enabling acpi debug showed anything here. I wonder how this
is done in the "other" operating system. Or how the device could be
re-enabled, plugging the wires back doesn't help. Very weird.
Anyway, I found a BIOS option to disable this behavior and now things
work unpatched. Thanks for your help.

	Joerg