Subject: Re: [RFC] netem: correlated loss generation (v3)

From: Hagen Paul Pfeifer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 02:43:30 +0200

* Stephen Hemminger | 2010-05-19 17:17:33 [-0700]:

>The old model was useful, but it really didn't do correlated loss.
>For legacy, the old syntax will go through the same code and generate
>the same result.

Is this really necessary? The right thing is to fix the broken behavior! If
the new patch provides this, great.  Imaging a network analysis for a PhD
dissertation based on a broken correlation algorithm - the whole results are
misleading and wrong. No one deserves this ... ;-)

If the current algorithm is broken then the mechanism must be fixed. Preserve
compatibility is counterproductive in this case.

>tc qdisc change dev eth0 root netem 
>      loss 2 10                              # compat syntax
>      loss random 2 10                       # same as above
>      loss deterministic file                # loss model based on bitmap
>      loss state p13 [p31 [p32 [p23 [p14]]]] # 4 state 
>      loss model  p [r [1-h [1-k]]]          # gilbert elliot model
>
>Any suggestions for better syntax are appreciated.

Not at the moment, looks clear and understandable.

Cheers, Hagen

-- 
Hagen Paul Pfeifer <[email-masked]>  ||  http://jauu.net/
Telephone: +49 174 5455209           ||  Key Id: 0x98350C22
Key Fingerprint: 490F 557B 6C48 6D7E 5706 2EA2 4A22 8D45 9835 0C22