Subject: Re: [PATCH] Driver-core: Fix bluetooth network device rename regression

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:28:27 -0700

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:20:28PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 19:44 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> 
> > Yes. The drivers are broken in its core use pattern, and enabling a
> > (non-common) new feature exposes this.
> 
> You've been saying this for a long time now, but I still don't buy it.
> 
> This stuff WORKED before. Now, years later, you're saying that it has a
> broken use pattern, and needs to be fixed. That's a pipe dream. In the
> real world, you can't deliberately break things because years later you
> decide that the use pattern that was working fine before is broken.

It worked only because no one realized that it was broken with the
DEPRECATED option enabled.  When that is enabled, it is broken, right?

Eric's changes to sysfs to add namespace support exposed this breakage.
That's not a reason to paper over the problem, but it should be driving
someone to fix it correctly, as has been pointed out a number of times
already.

thanks,

greg k-h