Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the staging-next tree with the net tree

From: Sven Eckelmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:09:31 +0200

Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> 
> Today's linux-next merge of the staging-next tree got a conflict in
> drivers/staging/batman-adv/hard-interface.c between commit
> 28172739f0a276eb8d6ca917b3974c2edb036da3 ("net: fix 64 bit counters on 32
> bit arches") from the net tree and commit
> a1a38cad4c71bc08403b204fbe0ba98b4447f8bf ("Staging: batman-adv: Don't
> increment stats of foreign device") from the staging-next tree.
> 
> The latter just removes the code fixed by the former, so I did that.

That is absolutely correct. The netdev guys noticed that the commits around 
"net: fix 64 bit counters on 32 bit arches" made those lines a real bug 
(casting stuff around, writing on memory it should only read, probably writing 
on unrelated memory). We reviewed those lines again and noticed that they make 
no sense at all and removed them to fix that bug and another minor bug.

I am sorry that this created a merge conflict for you, but only those commits 
by the netdev guys made us aware that there is something going wrong in the 
batman-adv receive code.

Thanks a lot for your linux-next repository and your work on it. It is a big 
help to see what is going on elsewhere and how it may affect our code.

Best regards,
	Sven