Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: allow netdev_wait_allrefs() to run faster

From: Benjamin LaHaise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:03:11 -0400

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 12:59:14PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> The network device deletion batching code has gone in, which is
> a big help, as have some dev_put deletions, so we hit that 250ms
> delay less often.  

I'll see how much that helps.  Odds are I'm going to have to move the 
device deletion into a separate thread.  That should give me a natural 
boundary to queue up deletions at, which should fix the tunnel-flap and 
partial tunnel-flap cases I'm worried about.  At some point I have to 
figure out how to get my API needs met by the in-kernel L2TP code, but 
that's a worry for another day.

> sysfs feature wise has now settled down, and the regressions have all
> been stamped out so now should be a good time to work on scaling.
> 
> I still have some preliminary patches in my tree, that I will dig up
> as time goes by.

I should have some time this evening to run a few tests, and hopefully can 
post some results.

		-ben