Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add firmware label support to iproute2

From: Matt Domsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:33:14 -0500

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 02:41:24PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> The netdev_alias_to_kernelname should only happen after normal lookup failed.

Stephen, can you enlighten me as to the "right" way to do interface
name lookups?  While I can still find examples of parsing
/proc/net/dev, or globbing /sys/class/net/*, I expect these aren't the
preferred method anymore.  Your own iproute2 suite uses RTM_GETLINK
netlink calls, though for the seeming simple case of "give me a list of all
interfaces", your path through there is far more capable (and
complex) than I would hope to need.

Please advise.

> Also how does ifindex to name mapping work?

libnetdevname does not use ifindex at all at present.

Thanks,
Matt

-- 
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist
Dell | Office of the CTO