Subject: Re: [PROBLEM] WARNING: at kernel/exit.c:910 do_exit

From: Oleg Nesterov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:29:53 +0100

On 11/21, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> I do wonder if we should just flag a thread as "busy oopsing" before
> we call "do_exit(), so that _if_ we do a recursive oops we
>
>  (a) don't print it out (except just a one-liner to say "recursively
> oopsed in %pS" or something)
>  (b) don't try to clean up with do_exit (because that's likely just
> going to oops again or run out of stack etc)
>
> That might have left us with a more visible original oops. Maybe the
> register contents at that point could have given us any ideas (ie
> things like the slab poisoning memory patterns or whatever).

+inf ;)

I thought about this many times. To me, the major offender is
__schedule_bug(). It is quite useful by itself, but every bug with
spinlock held triggers it.

Oleg.