Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next-2.6] net: add dev_close_many

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:04:47 -0800

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:52:39 +0200
Octavian Purdila <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
> Date: Monday 13 December 2010, 19:32:21
> 
> > With a message based interface, there shouldn't be a need for this.
> > Just have one thread sending requests in user space, and one receiving
> > the ACK's.
> 
> Sorry, you lost me here :) There is no need for the kernel thread / workqueue 
> or not even for dev_close_many?

I assume the need for dev_close_many is coming from a user space application?

I expect that for this kind of special need,  you would be better off not
using the normal iproute utilities and instead have a custom device manager
that is doing netlink directly.

Rather than doing synchronous send request and wait for ack. The utility
could use a sender and collector thread.

--