Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next-2.6] bnx2: remove cancel_work_sync() from remove_one

From: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:20:00 -0800 (PST)

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:51:04 +0100

> Yeah, I agree the synchronize_rcu() there would guarantee the actual
> timer completion but as it currently stands it looks a bit too subtle.
> Maybe it's a good idea to add a big fat comment explaining that the
> the timer is guaranteed to stop after close() and how it's guaranteed
> through synchronize_rcu() at the moment?  Also, it might be better to
> use synchronize_sched() there as timer synchronization through
> synchronize_rcu() is more of a happy accident.

I'm not sure the synchronize_*() is even necessary to guarentee
watchdog timer completion.

Like I said, I think the netif_tx_lock() held around both the timer
function itself, and the del_timer() call, are sufficient.

So, this ensures that the watchdog timer either runs to completion or
sees the no-op scheduler attached and returns immediately without
rescheduling the timer.

In any event, I'm going to apply your bnx2 patch to net-next-2.6

Thanks.