Subject: Re: [PATCH] rtnetlink: fix link attribute validation with IFLA_GROUP

From: Vlad Dogaru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:09:10 +0200

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 02:00:42PM +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Fix a few semantic problems with the new IFLA_GROUP attribute.
> 
> Vlad, could you please give this is a try to see whether it
> still behaves as expected?

> commit e4b31d565a45e06ed2e51a005f5c00ff1d00725c
> Author: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Thu Jan 20 13:55:25 2011 +0100
> 
>     rtnetlink: fix link attribute validation with IFLA_GROUP
>     
>     rtnl_group_changelink() is invoked by rtnl_newlink() before the link
>     attributes have been validated. Additionally the group changes are
>     performed even if NLM_F_CREATE is specified and a new link is
>     created, while more reasonable semantics would be to set the group
>     value on the newly created link.
>     
>     Fix both problems by moving the rtnl_group_changelink() invocation
>     down to the handling of non-existant links without NLM_F_CREATE()
>     and add a dev_set_group() call to rtnl_create_link().
>     
>     Signed-off-by: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>

Acked-by: Vlad Dogaru <[email-masked]>

This looks OK and behaves as before. Thanks for taking the time to look
through it, the new semantics do seem saner.

There is a slight difference, though: in the (yet unapplied) iproute2
patch, ifi_index is set to -1 and kernel space checks that it is <= 0;
your patch checks for == 0. I will update the iproute2 patches with
setting ifi_index to 0 (and other changes) and resubmit them.