Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: debloat-testing kernel git tree

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:19:50 -0500

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:16:08AM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
> > For wireless routers and cable home gateways especially, this research
> > shows that the total un-managed buffers in your system should be less
> > than 32.
> 
> Would it be a good thing to start describing these queues not so much in
> terms of packets but in terms of delay (or bandwidth X delay)?
> 
> Constants tend to live longer than they should, no matter how noble in
> birth.

Yes, it probably would -- that would be more meaningful between
different technologies and/or for technologies that might have variable
latencies due to shared media or whatnot.

Now, the question becomes what patches to propose to make that
happen... :-)

John
-- 
John W. Linville		Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email-masked]			might be all we have.  Be ready.