Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: ipv4: add IPPROTO_ICMP socket kind

From: Vasiliy Kulikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:22:10 +0400

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 14:25 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> I have no fundamental objections to this change and I'll be happy to
> apply it after we iron out a few details.

Great!

> First, please get rid of the debug option, we have pr_debug() which can
> be dynamically turned on and off at run time these days.

OK.

> Second, if this is a bonafide core facility we'd like everyone to use,
> let's make it so.  I want it so that every ping binary can expect this
> facility to be there if the kernel is new enough.
> 
> So let's get rid of the config option.

OK.

> Finally, longer term, I'd really like to see ipv6 support for this
> feature as well.

Definitely.

For ICMPv6 we should recognize what message types are OK to send by
non-root users and what types are privileged.  We just didn't do this
yet.

Thank you for the review,

-- 
Vasiliy Kulikov
http://www.openwall.com - bringing security into open computing environments