Subject: Re: [PATCH] tcp: Expose the initial RTO via a new sysctl.

From: Hagen Paul Pfeifer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 22:20:25 +0200

* David Miller | 2011-05-18 15:52:00 [-0400]:

>I've already changed the initial TCP congestion window in Linux to 10
>without some stupid draft being fully accepted.
>
>I'll just as easily accept right now a patch right now which lowers
>the initial RTO to 1 second and adds the 3 second RTO fallback.

I like the idea to make the initial RTO a knob because we in a isolated MANET
environment have a RTT larger then 1 second. Especially the link layer setup
procedure over several hops demand some time-costly setup time. After that the
RTT is <1 second. The current algorithm works great for us. So this RTO change
will be counterproductive: it will always trigger a needless timeout.

The main problem for us is that Google at all pushing their view of Internet
with a lot of pressure. The same is true for the IETF IW adjustments, which is
unsuitable for networks which operates at a bandwidth characteristic some
years ago. The _former_ conservative principle "TCP over everything" is
forgotten.

Hagen