Subject: Setting shutdownspeed in r8169 driver

From: Bas Nedermeijer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 23:02:40 +0200

Hello,

I currently have an onboard nic, which allows me to use wake-on-lan. But link-
speed goes to 10MBit when the system is shutdown. This causes a multicast/IPTV  
stream to be throttled back to 10Mbit. This is probably because the multicast 
stream actually a broadcast on my local network. I think some device is 
sending ethernet-pause frames (havent seem them, but not sure if they show up 
in tcpdump). I tried to disable flow-control on the sending device, but that 
didnt help, still the traffic is throttled when it has passed some switches. I 
read somewhere the windows driver has an option to specify the shutdown-
linkspeed, so listening for WOL happens on 100mbit. I was wondering if it is 
possible at all with the linux-driver (maybe as default by modifying the 
driver locally as I cant seem to find a userspace program to modify the 
settings).

I am using the driver "r8169"

According to 'lspci':

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
controller (rev 02)

Best regards,

Bas Nedermeijer