Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] net: msm_ipc: Add user-space support for MSM_IPC Router

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 22:15:49 +0200

On Thursday 09 June 2011 21:35:53 David Miller wrote:
> From: Karthikeyan Ramasubramanian <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:06:18 -0600
> 
> > Please let me know if you need any other information.
> 
> I don't agree with creating all of this non-trivial infrastructure
> for what seems to be an obscure protocol stack.
> 
> You can do all of this in userspace, it seems.

I can see some good use cases for having a socket to do IPC between OS
images that have a shared memory interconnect. What I see as most
problematic is to have it defined in a way that is tightly connected
to specific hardware from one vendor. If the protocol was defined
in a way that is useful for communication between virtual machines
(e.g. on top of virtio) and tranparent PCI bridges, it would probably
be much more acceptable.

	Arnd