Subject: Re: [RFC 26/72] arm: Move the ARM/ACORN drivers

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 20:22:05 +0200

On Saturday 25 June 2011, Jeff Kirsher wrote:
>   On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 09:59 -0700, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > More interestingly, if you have one of the 8390 clones, which
> > directory
> > > do you look in?  And shouldn't etherh.c live along side 8390's files
> > > as etherh is 8390-derived?
> > 
> > Jeff created a drivers/net/ethernet/8390/ directory for all of those,
> > which sounds sensible to me, but apparently he missed some of the
> > nonobvious ones. 
> 
> I was trying to keep the drivers that use the 8390 common files grouped
> together.
> 
> I know that there are other instances like this (for instance drivers
> derived from the lance.c driver) yet these derived drivers do not use
> the common files that other lance drivers use.  Because they are
> derived, yet do not use the common code, should they still be grouped
> together?  Just a question, I am fine with the idea.

Generally, I'd say yes, but it's not a strong preference.

In other subsystems, we group similar stuff together like that as well,
as a reminder that it should better use the common infrastructure, so
that someone copying the odd implementation has a better chance of
noticing the mistake early.

	Arnd