Subject: Re: invalid requirement from ethtool?

From: Eli Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:23:26 +0300

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:43:09PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Eli Cohen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:42:22 +0300
> 
> > I think both params zero should be allowed and mean coalescing is not
> > operational, thus we can remove these comments from ethtool.h
> 
> The existing precendence has existed for more than 10 years.  You can't
> just change it like this.
> 
> You'll need to find a new way to encode "disabled" coalescing.

I can't see the text explicitly specifies how to "disable" coalescing.
If I ignore the specific comment that disallows both params 0, I could
interpret the text such that when they're both zero, the feature is
disabled.

BTW, I checked also Intel 10GBE Nic (ixgbe) driver and it allows
setting both 0.