Subject: tg3: BMC stops responding in 3.0

From: Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:45:50 +0200

Hi,

I was using 2.6.38.8 and recently tried to switch to 3.0.4 on Tyan S2891 
platform.

This platform uses tg3:
tg3 0000:0a:09.1: eth1: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95704) rev 2003] (PCIX:133MHz:64-
bit) MAC address 00:e0:81:33:5e:af
tg3 0000:0a:09.1: eth1: attached PHY is 5704 (10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet) 
(WireSpeed[1], EEE[0])
tg3 0000:0a:09.1: eth1: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[0] TSOcap[1]
tg3 0000:0a:09.1: eth1: dma_rwctrl[769f4000] dma_mask[64-bit]

With 2.6.38.8 everything was working fine. With 3.0.4 there is a problem. As 
soon as tg3 module is loaded or eth0 configured (can't tell which one since 
the machine is 400km away from me and I have no way to play with it other than 
ipmi or ssh) BMC stops responding (so all ipmitool commands over LAN stop 
working). Normal tg3 activity is not affected - I can ssh-in without a problem 
etc but ipmi over lan doesn't work.

From ssh console "ipmitool lan print" works, shows data but for example after 
"ipmitool mc reset cold" it doesn't recover - ipmitool returns "Invalid 
channel: 255". I have to reboot to 2.6.38.8 and then issue "ipmitool mc reset 
cold" to recover.

Any idea which tg3 change could break this? Can't bisect this due remote 
access only.

I was hoping that maybe 9e975cc291d80d5e4562d6bed15ec171e896d69b
"tg3: Fix io failures after chip reset" will fix things for me but no - this 
doesn't help.
-- 
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team
arekm / maven.pl            http://ftp.pld-linux.org/