Subject: Re: [PATCH] smsc911x: Add regulator support

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 13:36:14 +0100

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 01:30:06PM +0200, Robert MARKLUND wrote:

You should fix your mail client to word wrap within paragraphs, I've
reformatted it for legibility.  Also leave a blank line between
paragraphs for the same reason.

> > No, this is broken - look at how other devices use the regulator API.
> > The driver should just request and use the regulators unconditionally
> > and let the stubbing and mapping facilities the API has deal with
> > ensuring that they always succeed.

> So what you mean is get them and use them and ignore all the return
> codes, and let the FW take care of the error handling ?

No, you should do what all the other drivers do and actually pay
attention to the errors.  If we can't get power to the device that's a
pretty serious problem and the driver ought  to fail.

> > As a side note the use of "pdata" as a name for the driver internal data
> > is really not helpful, pdata is traditionally the platform data passed
> > in by the machine (which would be even more broken).

> In the driver they have used this name for this structure throughout
> the file I just followed that.  Personally I think it will be more
> confusing to change the name of this structure in just this new
> function.

I think someone should send a patch renaming the data throughout the
entire driver, it's a terrible name for an embedded context.