Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] net/smsc911x: Add regulator support

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:17:51 +0200

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:25:09AM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 10:38 AM, Mark Brown wrote:

> >This has the same issue as last time - if you've got conditional code
> >like this in the body of the driver something is going wrong.  Unless
> >the supply is genuinely optional and might not be physically present on
> >some systems the driver should fail if it can't get it.  The regulator
> >API will stub itself out when not in use.

> That solves the issue for platforms with no regulator
> support at all.

No, it solves the problem for all platforms.

> Then we have platforms with regulator support, but no
> regulator for this hardware, because that one happens
> to be always-on in these systems.

Right, this is extremely common and is exactly what the fixed voltage
regulator is there for - if you've got an always on regulator in your
system define a fixed voltage regulator to represent it.

> Shall we have CONFIG_SMC911X select
> REGULATOR_DUMMY?

No, nothing should be selecting that.  Users can enable it for their
systems if they want it.