Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] Tracepoint for tcp retransmission

From: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 07:53:25 -0500

Hi -

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 03:09:37PM -0500, Neil Horman wrote:
> [...]

> Systemtap is fine for development.  Lots of application/product
> vendors really don't like it.  On top of the difficult to use
> aspect

(Just curious, what difficulty-to-use aspect have you more recently
come across?)

> it requires that debugging stabs info be kept with the kernel, which
> is a real pain, especially if you're running on a stable kernel.
> [...]

You probably mean when running on an unstable kernel, no?  Installing
debuginfo for a stable kernel is a one-time event.  It also enables
"perf probe" and crash(8) and other tools.  Plus, with systemtap,
there are two separate network-remoting mechanisms (--use-server
compilation and --remote execution) that make local debuginfo
unnecessary.

Anyway, a reasonable way to go may be to prototype in stap whatever
hard-coded kernel module y'all envision finally doing this work.

- FChE