Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/6] mv643xx.c: Add basic device tree support.

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:24:58 +0200

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 06:23:54PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2012, Ian Molton wrote:
> > @@ -33,6 +34,10 @@ struct of_dev_auxdata kirkwood_auxdata_lookup[] __initdata = {
> >  	OF_DEV_AUXDATA("marvell,orion-wdt", 0xf1020300, "orion_wdt", NULL),
> >  	OF_DEV_AUXDATA("marvell,orion-sata", 0xf1080000, "sata_mv.0", NULL),
> >  	OF_DEV_AUXDATA("marvell,orion-nand", 0xf4000000, "orion_nand", NULL),
> > +	OF_DEV_AUXDATA("marvell,mv643xx", 0xf1072000, MV643XX_ETH_NAME ".0",
> > +			NULL),
> > +	OF_DEV_AUXDATA("marvell,mv643xx", 0xf1076000, MV643XX_ETH_NAME ".1",
> > +			NULL),
> >  	{},
> >  };
> 
> Please don't do string concatenation like this, it just makes it harder to grep for the
> strings.

Hi Arnd

This pattern is used in other places, e.g. when creating the
clocks. The macro MV643XX_ETH_NAME is also used when creating the
platform data, and in the driver itself. 

Are you suggested we replace this with "mv643xx_eth.0"? Or is adding
the macro

#define MV643XX_ETH_NAME0 "mv643xx_eth.0" 

in include/linux/mv643xx_eth.h O.K, since grep will find it, and
induce the grep'er to perform a second grep on the macro?

     Andrew