Subject: Re: [stable 2.6.32.y PATCH 0/6] net: fixes for cached dsts are never invalidated

From: Benjamin LaHaise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:22:44 -0400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:14:31PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
...
> So maybe in the end we should just merge d11a4dc18 that Ben found to be
> the least invasive one fixing the issues, and we'd be in sync with the
> rest of the stable branches, even if, as you noted a few days ago, it's
> only a partial fix for the issue.
> 
> Ben, what's your opinion on this ? I know it's never fun to do backports
> and not merge them later, but I trust David more than anyone else on the
> network part, so if he decided that while incomplete, the patch above
> was all that was needed for other stable branches, maybe we should just
> stay on the safe side and do the same ?

There is a caveat to the minimally invasive fix: doing so will result in 
cached routes always being lookup up when the check occurs.  This could 
potentially result in a performance regression from some users.  The 
tradeoffs here are really murky.

		-ben
-- 
"Thought is the essence of where you are now."