Subject: GRO + splice panics in 3.7.0-rc5

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 23:28:12 +0100

Hello,

I was just about to make a quick comparison between LRO and GRO in
3.7.0-rc5 to see if LRO still had the big advantage I've always observed,
but I failed the test because as soon as I enable LRO + splice, the kernel
panics and reboots.

I could not yet manage to catch the panic output, I could just reliably
reproduce it, it crashes instantly.

All I can say at the moment is the following :
  - test consist in forwarding HTTP traffic between two NICs via haproxy
  - driver used was myri10ge
  - LRO + recv+send : OK
  - LRO + splice : OK
  - GRO + recv+send : OK
  - GRO + splice : panic
  - no such problem was observed in 3.6.6 so I think this is a recent
    regression.

I'll go back digging for more information, but as I'm used to often see
Eric suggest the right candidates for reverting, I wanted to report the
issue here in case there are easy ones to try first.

Thanks,
Willy