Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] checkpatch: add double empty line check

From: Andy Whitcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:11:42 +0000

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 07:32:49PM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 09:10:35PM +0200, Eilon Greenstein wrote:
> 
> > About the logic - true, if diff will show deleted lines after newly
> > added lines, some new double line segments will be missed. However, it
> > seems like few other things will break if diff will start acting out
> > like that. The suggestion you posted earlier will miss those as well,
> > and starting to check for this weird case (of deleted lines after the
> > added lines) does not seem right.
> 
> Actually the version I sent should indeed cope with the deleted lines
> regardless of order.  It was cirtainly intended to.

... and I think I thought of a couple more corner cases neither solution
will find.  So I am going to go away and make up a proper set of tests
for this apparently simple change.  As it is really annoying when it
false positives.  I will post against when I have something which works.

-apw