Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5 v2] mv643xx_eth: device tree bindings

From: Thomas Petazzoni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:00:11 +0200

Dear Jason Cooper,

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:00:37 -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:

> > So let's continue the cleanup work, conversion to DT, usage of
> > drivers in drivers/, improvement of pinmux to support
> > orion5x/mv78xx0, and do the move per-platform, once they are ready.
> > 
> > What do you think?
> 
> I agree completely.  I was simply restating the longview goal of the
> work we are doing (above and beyond adding armadaXP/370).  I probably
> should have given a time reference for "This will lead to..." :)

Ok. I definitely agree with the long-term goal.

> Also, I have a feeling that not all legacy boards will get converted
> over.  If there is no interest or no way to test, certains boards may
> get deprecated.

I think for many of them, we can do a 'blind' conversion to DT, and ask
the users who have posted patches or even submitted support for those
boards to test the DT. But I don't think we should move things into
mach-mvebu if there are still legacy non-DT Kirkwood platforms
supported in mach-kirkwood. So either we convert them to the DT, or we
remove the support for them if no-one is really interested. But I
believe in most cases, converting them to DT should be quite easy.

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com