Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/5] PF_PACKET timestamping updates

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:13:23 +0200

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 02:53:03PM +0200, Daniel Borkmann wrote:
> 
> Well, for the {RX,TX}_RING there is really no other way except the really
> really ugly possibility to introduce yet another tpacket header with 3
> time-stamp fields (sw, sys, raw). I really do not like that. :-)

Yep. Your solution with the status bits is nicer than the normal
SO_TIMESTAMPING cmsg. I think there is currently no way for the kernel
to produce two or three time stamps at the same time, and so the whole
timestamp triple is rather pointless.
 
> At least here, if you have traffic from different devices, you either get
> what you want (e.g. hw ts), or you'll get a fallback sw ts. That is also
> the case in the current code without this patchset. At least this set would
> solve this issue of telling the user what ts source he sees.

Yes, very good.

Thanks,
Richard