Subject: Re: [PATCH] nl80211: fix attrbuf access race by allocating a separate one

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:51:35 -0400

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:39:00AM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:23:58 +0200
> 
> > From: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > Since my commit 3713b4e364, nl80211_dump_wiphy() uses the global
> > nl80211_fam.attrbuf for parsing the incoming data. This wouldn't
> > be a problem if it only did so on the first dump iteration which
> > is locked against other commands in generic netlink, but due to
> > space constraints in cb->args (the needed state doesn't fit) I
> > decided to always parse the original message. That's racy though
> > since nl80211_fam.attrbuf could be used by some other parsing in
> > generic netlink concurrently.
> > 
> > For now, fix this by allocating a separate parse buffer (it's a
> > bit too big for the stack, currently 1448 bytes on 64-bit). For
> > -next, I'll change the code to parse into the global buffer in
> > the first round only and then allocate a smaller buffer to keep
> > the state in cb->args.
> > 
> > Reported-by: Linus Torvalds <torvalds-de/[email-masked]>
> > Signed-off-by: Johannes Berg <[email-masked]>
> 
> Acked-by: David S. Miller <davem-fT/PcQaiUtIeIZ0/[email-masked]>

Acked-by: John W. Linville <[email-masked]>

-- 
John W. Linville		Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email-masked]			might be all we have.  Be ready.
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-wireless" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html