Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] pch_gbe: Add MinnowBoard support

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 18:17:31 -0700

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:58:07PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> The MinnowBoard uses an AR803x PHY with the PCH GBE which requires
> special handling. Use the MinnowBoard PCI Subsystem ID to detect this
> and add a pci_device_id.driver_data structure and functions to handle
> platform setup.
> 
> The AR803x does not implement the RGMII 2ns TX clock delay in the trace
> routing nor via strapping. Add a detection method for the board and the
> PHY and enable the TX clock delay via the registers.
> 
> This PHY will hibernate without link for 10 seconds. Ensure the PHY is
> awake for probe and then disable hibernation. A future improvement would
> be to convert pch_gbe to using PHYLIB and making sure we can wake the
> PHY at the necessary times rather than permanently disabling it.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Darren Hart <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Peter Waskiewicz <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Andy Shevchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.8.x: 5829e9b mfd: lpc_sch: Accomodate partial
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.8.x: 3cbf182 gpio-sch: Allow for more than 8
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.8.x: 91bbe92: PCI: Add CircuitCo vendor ID
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.8.x: bd79680: pch_gbe: remove inline keyword
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.8.x: 453ca93: pch_gbe: convert pr_* to
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.8.x: 29cc436: pch_gbe: use managed functions
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.8.x
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.10.x: 91bbe92: PCI: Add CircuitCo vendor ID
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.10.x: bd79680: pch_gbe: remove inline keyword
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.10.x: 453ca93: pch_gbe: convert pr_* to
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.10.x: 29cc436: pch_gbe: use managed functions
> Cc: <[email-masked]> # 3.10.x
> Signed-off-by: Darren Hart <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/net/ethernet/oki-semi/pch_gbe/pch_gbe.h    | 15 ++++
>  .../net/ethernet/oki-semi/pch_gbe/pch_gbe_main.c   | 48 +++++++++++
>  .../net/ethernet/oki-semi/pch_gbe/pch_gbe_phy.c    | 98 ++++++++++++++++++++++
>  .../net/ethernet/oki-semi/pch_gbe/pch_gbe_phy.h    |  2 +
>  4 files changed, 163 insertions(+)

This is _far_ more than just a simple "add a new device id" for a stable
kernel update.   Please go read Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt
again for why there's no way I can take this type of thing.

You know better than this.

greg k-h