Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH 1/1] drivers: net: cpsw: Add support for new CPSW IP version

From: Felipe Balbi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:07:56 +0300

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:04:28PM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:45:23PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > 
> > one more thing, why do you consider a new revision to be an error ?
> 
> Okay, so why don't you go and remove the version checking code
> altogether?

if you need to treak certain aspects of the IP differently, you need the
revision check, don't be so childish.

what I'm saying is that we can give new IP revision a chance to work if
they have no programming model differences (except for, perhaps, new
features and different erratas).

On dwc3 (drivers/usb/dwc3) we support every single revision of the IP.
We only have revision checks to enable (or not) known silicon erratas.

-- 
balbi