Subject: Re: per-PID network stats files in /proc

From: Matthew Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:12:52 -0700

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 02:22:39PM -0700, Matthew Hall wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 02:04:35PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > You could do what you want by putting each process in own network
> > namespace, but that might be more work than you want to bother with.
> 
> Putting my one process or group of processes into one namespace, separate from 
> the one the rest of the system uses, could be perfectly OK actually.
> 
> So I'm going to look into this and see if it's possible. At least it would 
> give me a better route than where I am right now.
> 
> Thanks!
> Matthew.

Hi Stephen,

I took a look at this possibility and it seems very powerful but not so easy 
to use. Is there a way to make a netns that's like a "child node" of another 
netns, and inherits all the settings of the default one, unless I configured 
separate settings for this "child netns"? Otherwise the netns has to duplicate 
everything already configured on the host system even if it's unchanged from 
the standard settings.

Thanks,
Matthew.