Subject: Re: [PATCH] random: seed random_int_secret at least poorly at core_initcall time

From: Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:05:20 -0500

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:33:04AM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> 
> When the static stack canary was mentioned during the ARM summit, I
> dug around a little bit and saw that at very early boot, yes, it was
> always the same, but after boot finished, it was different from boot
> to boot. I didn't get far enough to figure out what was changing it
> later on.

I've been in Seoul this past week, so I haven't had a chance look more
closely at this, but what's not clear to me what the impact will be of
having a static statck canary during early boot.  Does that mean the
stack canary for the certain kernel threads and the pid 1 are always
constant, since their stacks are getting set up before we're actually
able to initialize the stack canary with something random?

     		       	     	    	 - Ted
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-wireless" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html