Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] ipv6 addrconf: add IFA_F_NOPREFIXROUTE flag to suppress creation of IP6 routes

From: Hannes Frederic Sowa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:22:03 +0100

Hi Thomas!

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 01:14:34PM +0100, Thomas Haller wrote:
> I am about to resent the patch, so that IFA_F_NOPREFIXROUTE is saved in
> the flags of the address. Later, when deleting such address, this is
> used to indicate ~not~ to delete any prefix route... just as you suggest
> in your earlier email (if I understood you right).

Ok, good.

> About this suggestion now, I tend to "no". Yes, it could be sensible, on
> the other hand, if user space already controls the routes (as indicated
> by it's use of IFA_F_NOPREFIXROUTES), I would just leave it to the user
> to clean up the wrong prefix route.
>
> What do you think?

It is a matter of usability. As prefix routes are added to main routing
table and are visible via simple ip -6 r l (and not ip -6 r l table
something), I am fine with that, too.

Greetings,

  Hannes