Subject: Re: [PATCH stable-only] virtio-net: fix build on m68k and sparc64

From: "Michael S. Tsirkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:46:05 +0200

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:36:13AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > As a result of backporting a bugfix, virtio_net started passing void *
> > to page_address, assuming that it will get silently converted to struct
> > page *. But this does not happen on architectures where page_address is
> > a macro, the result is build failure as the macro tries to dereference
> > void*.
> >
> > Fix by reordering code slightly, so we always pass
> > struct page * to page_address.
> 
> Thanks for the clue! I was just investigating a similar failure in -next.
> 
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
> 
>                         Geert

You don't mean linux-next? And not in virtio-net? I don't see page_address
being used on void * anywhere there.

> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]
> 
> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
> when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
>                                 -- Linus Torvalds