Subject: [ANNOUNCE]: Release of nftables 0.099

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 13:11:33 +0000

The Netfilter project presents:

        nftables 0.099

With the release of Linux 3.13 and almost 5 years after the last nftables
release, the time has come to finally get this code out to our users.

Since this is the first regular release intended for users, I'm including
a bit of extra information.

Overview
========

nf_tables is the new firewalling infrastructure in the Linux kernel,
intended to replace ip_tables, ip6_tables, arp_tables and ebtables
in the long term. nftables is the corresponsing userspace frontend,
replacing their respective userspace utilities.

nftables features native support for sets and dictionaries of arbitrary
types, support for many different protocols, meta data types, connection
tracking, NAT, logging, atomic incremental and full ruleset updates,
a netlink API with notification support, a format grammar, a compatiblity
layer for iptables/ip6tables and more.

While the internal architecture is fundamentally different from
ip_tables etc, many of the well proven concepts like tables and chains
have been retained. The syntax differs significantly from iptables
and friends, most notable, the options style parsing has been replaced
by a formal grammar and a set of keywords. For anyone familiar with
BPF the syntax should be quite easy to learn.

Architecture
============

As mentioned previously, the architecture differs significantly from
the existing packet filtering mechanisms. While ip_tables etc. include
special modules for each and every protocol they support, for each meta
data type etc and each each of these modules implement a set of usually
similar operations on this data, nftables contains a small evaluation
engine (sometimes called a virtual machine) with extensions to support
getting packet payload data, meta data, ... and performing operations
with this data, altering flow control and so on.

The userspace frontend performs parsing of the ruleset and compiles it
into instructions for the virtual machine. F.i. while an iptables tcp
dport match would instruct the xt_tcpudp module to compare the TCP port
number, nftables userspace emits instructions to load 2 bytes at the
position network header + 2 into a so called register and a second
instruction to compare that register to a given value. IOW, the kernel
doesn't require knowledge of particular protocols, support for them
can in most cases be added completely in the nftables frontend.

Data gathered from the packet (or elsewhere) can not only be used for
matches (called relational expressions in nftables), but for dynamically
parameterizing other extensions. F.i. the following expression would
select the DNAT destination address based on the source address of the
packet:

... dnat ip saddr map {
	192.168.0.0/24 : 10.0.0.1,
	192.168.1.0/24 : 10.0.0.2,
	* : 10.0.0.3 
    }

while the following expression would store the input interface index
in the upper 8 bits of the packet mark to be used in the POSTROUTING 
hook where it is not available anymore:

... mark set iif

Similar to ip_tables, rules are organized in address family specific
tables and chains. The kernel doesn't include any pre-defined tables
anymore, they can be created at will from userspace. Special features
of tables like the NAT table and mangle table are available as so
called "chain types", which instruct nftables to perform operations
like setting up NAT mappings or rerouting packets after remarking.
A set of predefined tables corresponding to the tables existing in
ip_tables etc is contained in nftables.

Dictionaries, as shown in the previous dnat example, can not only
be used for parameterizing different extensions, but also to alter
control flow, allowing to build match trees with efficient branching:

... iif vmap {
	eth0 : jump from_lan,
	eth1 : jump from_dmz,
	eth2 : jump from_wan,
	*    : drop,
    }

Status
======

There are still a few rough edges, but we believe the code is ready
to be used for testing and personal usage. It is not ready for
production use, but we should be getting there quickly. Userspace
may occasionally produce an unexpected error for uncommon cases,
the kernel side is expected to be pretty much solid. Any bugs
reported will be fixed quickly.

While trying to avoid it when possible, until the 0.1 release we may
still change the grammar or other things in incompatible ways. This
should result in only small impact though, most of the grammar is
expected to stay as it is.

Naming
======

nftables releases have names. The last release v0.01-alpha1 was named
schäublefilter, honoring the minister of the interieur of Germany,
Wolfgang Schäuble, and his attempts to introduce legislation to allow
the state to crack computers.

Owing to the fact that his term is over since over four years and that
in retrospective his attempts really seem only alpha, the new release
is named keith-alexander-filter, in celebration of not being backdoored
by the NSA so far.

Resources
=========

The nftables code can be obtained from:

* http://netfilter.org/projects/nftables/downloads.html
* ftp://ftp.netfilter.org/pub/nftables
* git://git.netfilter.org/nftables

To build the code, you libnftnl and libmnl are required:

* http://netfilter.org/projects/libnftnl/index.html
* http://netfilter.org/projects/libmnl/index.html

The iptables compatibility layer is available at:

* git://git.netfilter.org/iptables-nftables

The code should appear on the website and FTP shortly.

Further reading
===============

While documentation is still scarce at the moment, the next release
will include a full command reference and further documentation.

The project page on netfilter.org contains some further pointers:

  http://netfilter.org/projects/nftables/index.html

Eric Leblond has written a short howto:

  https://home.regit.org/netfilter-en/nftables-quick-howto/

and has given a presentation on nftables:

  https://home.regit.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013_kernel_recipes_nftables.pdf

My first presentation on nftables during NFWS 2008 in Paris:

  http://people.netfilter.org/kaber/nfws2008/nftables.odp

And there's a Wiki-page with some further information on the basic
building blocks, the syntax ...:

  http://people.netfilter.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Main_Page

Thanks
======

A lot of people have started contributing to nftables during the past
1.5 years and helped to get both the kernel and userspace components in
shape for merging and release. Pablo revived the project after I stopped
working on it for quite a while, Eric Leblond, Tomasz Burstyka, Arturo 
Borrero, Alvaro Neira and Giuseppe Longo all made important contributions
to nftables and the surrounding infrastructure.

On behalf of the Netfilter Core Team,
Happy bytecode execution :)