Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/34] bnx2: Use pci_enable_msix_range()

From: Bjorn Helgaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 18:08:03 -0700

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 05:38:14PM -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 01:30:51PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> > 
> > Please submit this patch series when the net-next tree opens back up,
> > I'm only accepting bug fixes at this time.
> > 
> > Also, please always provide a proper "00/NN" openning posting for a
> > patch series, that gives background and high level information about
> > what your patch series is trying to achieve and how it achieves it.
> > 
> > That way people reviewing the patches know what to expect, and why,
> > and I have exactly one posting to reply to if I apply the whole
> > series.
> 
> I *think* this whole series applies to drivers/net (the usual patch sending
> tools like "stg mail" insert the diffstat automatically in the 00/nn
> message), and it sounds like David is willing to apply them via his tree,
> so I'm ignoring these for now.  Let me know if you need me to do anything.

I skimmed these and the scsi patches, and I think you were right in
proposing an MSI-X enable function that takes a single "number of vectors"
argument, in addition to pci_enable_msix_range(), which takes a minimum and
a maximum.  Obviously the pci_enable_msix_fixed() or whatever could be a
simple #define wrapper or something.

Of the fifty-some net and scsi patches, I counted 23 that use the min ==
max pattern, and it seems a shame to have to repeat that expression.

BTW, I noticed that Documentation/PCI/MSI-HOWTO.txt uses
pci_enable_msi_range() in some of the examples that are really talking
about pci_enable_msix_range() (4.3.1.1 and 4.3.1.2, at least).

Bjorn