Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 net-next 11/12] bonding: trivial: rename slave->jiffies to ->last_link_up

From: Veaceslav Falico <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:15:31 +0100

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 03:02:36PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
>> -	unsigned long jiffies;
>> +	/* all three in jiffies */
>> +	unsigned long last_link_up;
>>  	unsigned long last_arp_rx;
>>  	unsigned long target_last_arp_rx[BOND_MAX_ARP_TARGETS];
>
>Personally I'd add _time to the member names (maybe not the last
>as that is long enough already).
>I sometimes go as far as adding the time units (eg _ms or _sec)
>just to avoid confusion when reading the code much later on.

Good idea, however current renaming follows the one used in bonding:

last_link_up, last_arp_rx (ripped from net_device, where last_rx is also
used), target_last_arp_rx, slave_last_rx() and some other. So it's somehow
consistent over all bonding and some other networking code (grepping by
last_rx yields a lot of results). And all of these are using jiffies as its
value.

I really like the general idea (to make it more readable, bonding really
lacks this part), however it's, IMO, a new patch(-set) material and doesn't
really fit in this patchset.

If you'd like to do that I would be really glad :), otherwise I'll add this
to my todo list.

Thanks a lot!

>	David