Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] mvneta: software TSO implementation

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 07:48:47 +0200

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 06:02:30PM -0700, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 20:51 -0400, David Miller wrote:
> > This is not really driver specific code.
> > 
> > Please create an appropriate abstraction, and put this code in a
> > common place so that any driver can do this.
> > 
> > Thanks.
> 
> Note a prior implementation existed in
> 
> drivers/net/ethernet/tile/tilegx.c
> 
> Note sure how it can be properly factorized, but worth trying .

I also tried to find how to do this for mv643xx_eth a few years ago
based on other drivers (eg: tilegx) and failed to find anything
common. At this level, we're really playing with the NIC's descriptors,
and many of them have different capabilities (eg: HW checksums for all
frames, VLAN or none, etc...). I don't really see how this could be
factorized, and since many NICs do support TSO, I'm not convinced by
the effort.

Willy