Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] tty: allow tty drivers to rename their device nodes

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 13:56:56 -0700

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:39:26PM +0200, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> From: Paul Bolle <[email-masked]>
> 
> The device nodes for tty drivers are named using a straightforward
> scheme: tty_driver->name with an (increasing) digit appended. But the
> capi driver (a part of one of the current ISDN subsystems) requires a
> different naming scheme for its "capi_nc" tty_driver:
>     /dev/capi/0
>     /dev/capi/1
>     [...]

Can't you just use a '!' character to represent the '/' and the tty core
will handle it all properly for you without this tty core change needed?

> So add a devnode() callback to struct tty_driver to allow tty drivers
> to use a more elaborate naming scheme. And let tty_devnode(), the
> devnode() callback for the "tty" class, call that new callback if a tty
> driver uses one. This allows the capi driver to add a callback to
> enable its scheme.

And why the sudden need for this feature, what changed in isdn to
warrant this change?

greg k-h