Subject: Re: [PATCHv3 net-next 0/4] bridge: multicast snooping patches / exports

From: Linus Lüssing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 23:20:16 +0200

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:43:11AM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Linus Lüssing <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 20:42:15 +0200
> 
> > Changes in v3:
> > 
> > * use EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL() instead of EXPORT_SYMBOL()
> 
> This is not a sufficient header posting.
> 
> You must also describe at a high level what this patch series is
> doing, and why you are doing it.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought it'd only be necessary for the v1
patchset. Going to change that from now on. Anyways, here it is
(copied 'n' pasted):

-----

The first patch is simply a cosmetic patch. So far I (and maybe others
too?) have been regularly confusing these two structs, therefore I'd
suggest renaming them and therefore making the follow-up patches easier
to understand and nicer to fit in.

The second patch fixes a minor issue, but probably not worth for stable.

On the other hand the first two patches are also preparations for the
third and fourth patch:

These two patches are exporting functionality needed to marry the bridge
multicast snooping with the batman-adv multicast optimizations recently
added for the 3.15 kernel, allowing to use these optimzations in common
setups having a bridge on top of e.g. bat0, too. So far these bridged
setups would fall back to simple flooding through the batman-adv mesh
network for any multicast packet entering bat0.

More information about the batman-adv multicast optimizations currently
implemented can be found here:

http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Basic-multicast-optimizations

The integration on the batman-adv side could afterwards look like this,
for instance:

http://git.open-mesh.org/batman-adv.git/commitdiff/576b59dd3e34737c702e548b21fa72059262f796?hp=f95ce7131746c65fbcdffcf2089cab59e2c2f7ac

-----