Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] hso: fix deadlock when receiving bursts of data

From: Olivier Sobrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:42:20 +0200

Hi David,

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 09:13:53AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> From: Olivier Sobrie
> > When the module sends bursts of data, sometimes a deadlock happens in
> > the hso driver when the tty buffer doesn't get the chance to be flushed
> > quickly enough.
> > 
> > To avoid this, first, we remove the endless while loop in
> > put_rx_bufdata() which is the root cause of the deadlock.
> > Secondly, when there is no room anymore in the tty buffer, we set up a
> > timer of 100 msecs to give a chance to the upper layer to flush the tty
> > buffer and make room for new data.
> 
> What is the timer for?
> You need to get the sending code woken up by the urb completion.

In put_rxbuf_data() (which can be called under irq disabled),
tty_flip_buffer_push() is called and schedules a push of the tty buffer.
When the buffer is full, I give some time to the above layer in order
to flush it.
The timer is used to recall put_rxbuf_data_and_resubmit_bulk_urb()
later in order to read the remaining data stored in
"urb->transfer_buffer" and then to resubmit the urb to receive more data
from the gsm module.
I don't understand what you mean by "getting the sending code woken up".
Calling tty_port_tty_wakeup()?? We are in the receive path...

Thanks,

-- 
Olivier