Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 1/8] net-timestamp: explicit SO_TIMESTAMPING ancillary data struct

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 20:47:00 +0200

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 11:34:05AM -0400, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> 
> The hardware timestamp converted to system time is deprecated? I did
> not know that. Because it is largely unused, or for a more fundamental
> reason?

It is for the fundamental reason that the idea behind it is just plain
wrong. MAC drivers are not the place to put clock servos.

> If so, the documentation could indeed use an explicit comment. The
> definition of skb_shared_hwtstamps.syststamp too. I can write a small
> patch independent of this patchset.

Please do.
 
> Unfortunately, a cursory inspection shows one, octeon. While that user
> exists and generates such timestamps, I think that the above new flag
> should be passed, as well, for API consistency.

Ugh, how the heck did that turd get in? Its not like they bothered to
include the maintainer on CC. That code must go.

Thanks,
Richard