Subject: Re: FEC driver hangs hardware on i.MX6SX

From: Shawn Guo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 09:59:16 +0800

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 08:20:49AM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:57:33AM +0800, Shawn Guo wrote:
> > 
> > I think the cause is that PTP is still accessing registers after FEC
> > driver calls fec_enet_clk_enable(ndev, false) to disable FEC clocks.
> > Can you please try to provide a fix for this regression soon?
> 
> What do you mean by, "PTP is still accessing registers"?
> 
> The only access to any register is through the driver, and the driver
> can and should make sure all register accesses are safe.

Sorry for being vague, Richard.  I meant PTP driver is still accessing
registers.

With Fugang's clock management patch, FEC clocks will be disabled to
save power after FEC gets probed.  But at that point, fec_ptp driver
already launches a timer, which will trigger the read on FEC ATIME
register once per second.

Shawn