Subject: Re: [PATCH] Hyperv: Trigger DHCP renew after host hibernation

From: Lennart Poettering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:11:54 +0200

On Mon, 21.07.14 10:21, Yue Zhang (OSTC DEV) ([email-masked]) wrote:

> Some network monitoring daemon, like ifplugd has a deferring mechanism.
> When it detects carriers is offline, it doesn't trigger DHCP renew immediately. 
> Instead it will wait for another 5 seconds to check whether carrier is back to 
> online status. In that case, it will avoid renew DHCP lease.

ifplugd doesn't renew DHCP leases anyway, one of the scripts it invokes
does.

ifplugd is obsolete software. I wrote it more than 10 years ago, and
haven't really updated it since. it's sounds seriously wrong to add
multi-second waits to the kernel just to make this crappy, obsolete
software work.

Please fix this properly, and work with the PM guys, so that we get a
sane userspace how the kernel can notify userspace about
suspends/hibernations triggered from the outside, so that userspace
daemons can subscribe to that and then refresh the DHCP leases on their
own.

Lennart

-- 
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat