Subject: Re: [net-next 0/4] remove deprecated syststamp

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 09:45:47 +0200

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 06:01:28PM -0400, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> The remaining driver (octeon) does not expose such a standard
> interface as of now. It does have its own PTP library that depends
> on its own shared memory PTP clock interface.

FWIW, that custom interface isn't even part of the kernel. It was nice
of you to take the trouble to find out about it, and it seems that
removing the SYS time stamp will not hurt applications using the
custom interface. They will need a custom kernel in any case. However,
at the end of the day, we really don't have to support random
out-of-tree interfaces.

> This patchset
> 1. reverts the syststamp code in the one driver (octeon)
> 2. reverts an unnecessary zero initialization in another (vxge)
> 3. modifies PF_PACKET to use syststamp is != 0 (because always == 0)
> 4. modifies SCM_TIMESTAMPING in the same way

Thanks for doing this series.

Acked-by: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>