Subject: Re: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 16:19:25 +0900

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 11:37:24PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
...
> +		/*
> +		 * I got SIGKILL, but wait for 60 more seconds for completion
> +		 * unless chosen by the OOM killer. This delay is there as a
> +		 * workaround for boot failure caused by SIGKILL upon device
> +		 * driver initialization timeout.
> +		 *
> +		 * N.B. this will actually let the thread complete regularly,
> +		 * wait_for_completion() will be used eventually, the 60 second
> +		 * try here is just to check for the OOM over that time.
> +		 */
> +		WARN_ONCE(!test_thread_flag(TIF_MEMDIE),
> +			  "Got SIGKILL but not from OOM, if this issue is on probe use .driver.async_probe\n");
> +		for (i = 0; i < 60 && !test_thread_flag(TIF_MEMDIE); i++)
> +			if (wait_for_completion_timeout(&done, HZ))
> +				goto wait_done;
> +

Ugh... Jesus, this is way too hacky, so now we fail on 90s timeout
instead of 30?  Why do we even need this with the proposed async
probing changes?

Thanks.

-- 
tejun