Subject: Re: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:03:33 +0900

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 12:25:29PM +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 08:19:12PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On the systemd side of things it should enable this sysctl and for
> > older kernels what should it do?
> 
> Supposing the change is backported via -stable, it can try to set the
> sysctl on all kernels.  If the knob doesn't exist, the fix is not
> there and nothing can be done about it.

The more I think about it, the more I think this should be a
per-insmod instance thing rather than a system-wide switch.  Currently
the kernel param code doesn't allow a generic param outside the ones
specified by the module itself but adding support for something like
driver.async_load=1 shouldn't be too difficult, applying that to
existing systems shouldn't be much more difficult than a system-wide
switch, and it'd be siginificantly cleaner than fiddling with driver
blacklist.

Thanks.

-- 
tejun