Subject: Re: PTP_PEROUT_REQUEST and clock stepping

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:33:10 +0200

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 08:24:49AM +0200, Christian Riesch wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Daniel Glöckner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Only a small fraction of people
> > using periodic outputs will want to schedule the start of the signal at
> > a specific time in the future and only a fraction of those will use a
> > .period value that is so small that they can't use a timer to configure
> > the periodic output within .period/2 before the desired start time.
> 
> Ok, I got it now. So you are suggesting to change the behavior of
> PTP_PEROUT_REQUEST, aren't you? And break existing applications?
> Christian

I think he wants the periodic output to continue at the same phase and
frequency, even when you reset the clock time.

However, this is impossible to acheive because the hardware does not
support it.

Thanks,
Richard