Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/3] net: can: c_can: Add syscon/regmap RAMINIT mechanism

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:25:50 +0200

> Yes, but syscon_regmap_lookup_by_phandle() doesn't need any support for
> additional parameters. Have a look at:
> 
> drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-socfpga.c
> 
> First get the regmap, then the 1st argument is the offset in the regmap,
> the 2nd and 3rd could be the bits.

So, for one driver the extra arguments are: <reg> <start_bit> <stop_bit>
For another driver (the stmmac example): <reg_offset> <reg_shift>

Phew... Then we should really have a "syscon-raminit" property probably,
so that at least plain "syscon" has a consistent syntax?

> 
> > So, I'd rather drop additional arguments.
> > 
> > Why would you like to have it encoded in DT?
> 
> Where put the information then? Into the driver, but where do you get
> the reference which instance of the DCAN you are, so that you can look
> up the correct bits?

Agreed. I thought we had this information in the driver already, but we
haven't...